Thursday, June 10, 2010

Why I now love hockey

Like 98% of the residents of Chicago, last night M and I watched the Blackhawks take on the Philadelphia Phlyers (ok, it's Flyers, but shouldn't it be with a PH?  I agree.)  I have to admit, I think it was the first time that I actually watched an NHL hockey game.  I vaguely remember going to a game of the Houston Aeros- yes, that's how it's spelled-with my dad when I was younger, but they're a part of the AHL- American Hockey League- and they play in Houston, Texas so they don't count.

And now I'm going to say something that will most likely make EVERY diehard hockey fan squirm.  I submit that hockey is a truly, truly beautiful sport.  I know, I know.  Blood, teeth everywhere, fighting, hitting.  Big men covered in pads running into each other.  Men throwing themselves over the walls of their little team box thingy.  (technical term)

All that aside, I can't get over the beauty of the skating.  Even when the men playing look more like Transformers than humans, it's amazing how the players glide down the rink (?) so effortlessly (and slam against the plexi-glass so effortlessly, too).  And even when they're punching each other, it's in such a fluid, graceful movement.

And really, could anything be more beautiful than this?


Congrats to the newest holders of the Stanley Cup, the Chicago Blackhawks!

No comments:

Post a Comment