Sunday, August 1, 2010

It's a Good Idea to Check

I am not in love with the health insurance industry.  My "unlove" is for a variety of reasons that I won't go into here (because- let's be honest- you're not reading Hyde Park Heroes to hear me talk about such things)

And so in that strong feeling of "unlove" I always begrudgingly payed the hundreds of dollars in bills (I'm not kidding.  I even considered posting them here) that we received after M or I went to the doctor, even though I thought we would only have to pay the co-pay.  Even though they were just routine check ups, or maybe one test.  But you know.  Loopholes or something.

That was soon to change.  A couple weeks ago, M went to the dermatologist to get some spots on his back checked, but I first called our lovely health insurance provider to make sure it would be covered.  I was promised, and I quote, "you'll only be responsible for the co-pay."  Hallelujah!  Thank you, Jesus!

And then the bill came.  $137.  Scramble to check coverage documents.  Copay = $20.  Not $137.  AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!  Hit head and yell not nice words about insurance company.  I had had it with the loopholes.

So, being the proactive, responsible citizen I am who complains when they don't like something, I called up our insurance company.  Punch in policy number.  Punch in birthdate.  Punch in the name of your second cousin's dog.  Forget the name of your second cousin's dog, so start over again.  Finally- FINALLY- a real. human. being.  And then I began, in my sweetest, most sarcastic voice.

Me: "Yes, hello Sally, thanks for talking with me.  I just have to see what is going on with my bills.  Despite your lovely company saying you'll cover everything but the co-pay, I'm still getting bills that are nearly seven times my co-pay.  Or more.  AND I AM DAMN TIRED OF PAYING THEM!!!!!!!!!!!"

Sally: "Just one moment, ma'am.  Let me see what's going on."

(pause.  pause.  click, click.  pause.)

Sally: "Oh!  I see what's going on!  You're getting billed by the doctor AND the hospital facilities where you're being treated.  Are the offices of your doctors in a university hospital or something?"

Me: "Well, seeing as how on my insurance statements- that, I'll remind you, your company produces- clearly identify it as 'The University of Chicago Medical Center' I'm going to go with YES."

Sally: "Oh, well then we need to adjust your claims.  I'll do that now."

Me: "Adjust them up?  Or down?  Or to the left or right?"

Sally: "Oh, down, ma'am.  You've been paying far too much."

silence.

Me: "I'm sorry, can you say that again?  Did you, the insurance company, just say I'm..I'm...paying...too MUCH?  Are you joking?"

Sally: "No, ma'am.  I'm not kidding.  And I'm sorry you've been paying these extra costs.  Wow, it looks like we're talking about around $500, aren't we?"

Me: "Holy freaking cow.  You're going to send me $500!?!"

Sally: "Well, no.  But the hospital will be refunding you shortly, I'm sure."

Me: "I LOVE YOU!  I LOVE YOU!  I'M GETTING BACK $500, I'M GETTING BACK $500!!!"


Now, granted, the hospital hasn't actually sent our refund back just yet. (I'm calling- again- tomorrow.)  And the insurance company said there was no way to make sure this didn't happen again, except to call them each time we go to the doctor.  But yeah. 

It's a good idea to check.

 

"

No comments:

Post a Comment