Friday, July 1, 2011

All That's Left

All that's left now in our apartment is a blow up mattress, a couple pairs of shoes, some clothes and odds and ends that will make it in the car for our travel across country.

As much as we have been looking forward to this move, it's hard to believe it's actually here.  Driving down Lakeshore one of the last times yesterday, I was struck by how much we don't deserve any of the amazing blessings that have been given to us, especially in these last few weeks.  How many times did we doubt that something would work out?  How many times did we (ok, maybe I) question if God really wanted us back in Washington, DC, as nothing seemed to be coming to fruition?  How many times did I wonder if He would really provide for all of our needs?

And now we're here, on our last day in Chicago.  While I've been preparing and hoping, I will still be sad to leave many things of this city behind.  An amazing community group (and three of our favorite kids in the world), an incredible job and rent about half the price of what we'll pay in DC.  Even the skyline, the lake, the views will be something I no doubt reminisce on, as I look out at the squatty (though beautiful) DC skyline. 

There's still quite a lot to get done today.  Bank run, cable box return, POD pick up, final car packing and clothes washing, plus my last day of work.  But tonight we will make sure that we celebrate this city that has been home for the last 22 months, that has been a place of education for both M and me and- most importantly- a place of substantial, beautiful growth.

No comments:

Post a Comment