Monday, May 4, 2009

J. Crew Jenna: Who are you and why should I want your picks?


So additional pounds (I’m workin’ on it!) have certainly retired a lot of my clothing, but I still like to think I’ve got some style, and I certainly have a husband who has a good style eye (I’m not kidding). While the woman of yesteryear who spent lots and lots of money on clothes has all but vanished (those Kate Spade shoes were majorly on sale!!) I still receive clothing emails from J. Crew, Banana Republic, Nordstrom’s and Daily Candy (looking for great deals on winter clothing for Chicago, of course).

So today I opened my latest J. Crew email and was accosted by something called “Jenna’s Picks.” Jenna Bush? (I thought J Crew was all about the Obamas these days). Jenna Jameson? (If you don’t know who that is do NOT google her. Seriously. Trash. I'm not linking to anything of her!) Jenna Elfman? (anyone remember her?)

After a little googling of my own, I figured out that “J. Crew Jenna” (hereafter called “JJ”) is the Creative Director of J. Crew, and has been doing this “Jenna’s Favorites” thing for a while now (how am I just now picking up on this?) Hmm. Ok, that’s nice. She’s probably got a good handle on what’s cool, chic and in style right now. But let me get this straight. JJ, who is a top employee at J. Crew, is picking out her favorite J. Crew pieces and emailing them around to J. Crew followers, so they’ll go into their local J. Crew so they can get their J. Crew on. Umm, am I supposed to believe that JJ is an unbiased observer? Or that she “just happened” to choose that $100 alligator turquoise blue belt over the other turquoise blue (what can I say, J. Crew loves the color) belt that’s on sale for $19.99? And that the SAME strapless patchwork madras dress they’ve been hawking the last 5 years is still cool? I guess “preppy” never goes out of style. And that I REALLY need to buy these eleven new pieces every season (don’t forget “resort”, “late spring” and “Indian Summer” collections!) to stay in style? How come she didn’t pick everything? Shouldn’t she love it all as the Creative Director? True, the email does link nicely to the whole kit and kaboodle on the website. I have to say, though, it sort of weirds me out that J. Crew Customer Relations is based out of Lynchburg, VA. I’m thinking Jerry Falwell would probably not have approved of this season’s short shorts. I'm just sayin'.

So thank, Jenna, for your picks. No doubt you know your stuff. But I think I’ll be looking for a chic “no frills”- as you describe it- white dress that costs a little bit less than $115, and a cute new satin clutch that comes in at less than $150. It IS an essential for the “sort of spring but sometimes cold and sometimes hot” season. Thanks for reminding me.

4 comments:

  1. wow. you write a lot. not a bad thing b/c it clearly keeps me entertained. something to aspire to.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Funny I just removed my own comment. It's because I noticed a grammatical error.

    I also write a lot of cover letters, resumes and "letters of interest" (when I'm not running around like a crazy person doing actual work work. Shocking, I know.)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this is hilarious! i agree...why doesn't jj pick everything? if you want i can send you e-mails with picks every week?!

    love the blog.

    dawn

    ReplyDelete