Tuesday, May 26, 2009

Weekend update

This weekend M and I headed to the hills o' Kentucky for some R&R and family visiting. Here are the highlights:

* Hitting 100,000 miles on the odometer
This is a happy, sad and scary moment all at once. 100,000 miles seems like a LOT of miles. But the SUV is a 1999...so that's not a lot, right? And then that stupid song "I would walk 500 miles" kept going over and over and over in my head.

* Eating a sit down dinner for two for $20
This DOES NOT happen in WDC. Trust me. I mean we're talking a full, sit-down meal. Wow.

* Visiting with my favorite grandparents
There are few people I love more than my grandparents. They are the most active, with it 80ish year olds that I know. I love being with them. I love talking politics with them. I just love them. Period.

* Boating and swimming on Yatesville lake
"Boating" makes it sound sort of like "yachting", which it wasn't. But man, it was good. Though it's really weird to me how there would be sections of really warm water, then sections of really cold water. And I don't think it's because M was peeing.

* Continuing to peel from our trip to FL
How long should I expect my skin to fall off???? Seriously! I even exfoliated a lot last night thinking it would help. It most definitely made it worse.

* Picking fresh asparagus and strawberries in Grandpa's garden
Man, seeing the bounty of Grandpa's garden reminds me, again, that we need a garden. Broccoli, potatoes, asparagus, strawberries, onions, lettuce (which, by the way, looks like it's just been thrown on the ground when it grows), grapes, gooseberries, zucchini, tomatoes, corn, etc etc....I would save over $200 a month if I grew my own fruits and vegetables. Geez.

* Aunt S's new house
We'll grow that garden, mentioned above, when we buy a house, and I love Aunt S's new one. The only problem is that I get severely depressed when I think about what we could afford "Not in DC" (or Chicago, for that matter). Yippeee!

* Slowing down. Finally.
May has been a crazy month, and after a hectic week (and a projected hectic week to come), sitting on the back porch, reading about FDR and eating fresh-picked strawberries really can't be beat.

1 comment:

  1. The $20 meal most definitely wasn't BAD. That's all I'm asking for when I pay $20.

    Remind me of this post and the note about my skin peeling when we're at the Riviera. Because God help me, I think I've lost at least 10 layers of skin from my last sunburn.

    ReplyDelete