Saturday, September 12, 2009

"We Don't Have Any Paper"

This week, I had another interview with an organization that gets me really excited. I'm trying not to get my hopes up (they've crashed and burned more times than I can count) but, needless to say, I really, really hope that I get this job.

The night before the interview, I wanted to print my resume, cover letter and the job description in order to have them on hand at the interview. Since we don't have a printer, I knew I would have to find some sort of store where I could log in to my email (I also lost my USB thingy majigger) and quickly and easily print.

First stop: Office Depot. I walked over to the oh-so-professional looking "Copy Center," waited a few minutes in line and then asked where I could log in to my email in order to make a few copies of a document. I was briskly told that I would not be able to log in to any of their computers, as they're not for private use. "Right, I understand that, but I'm just retrieving two documents to then pay you to print for me."

"We don't do that."

Ok, cool. On to the next store.

So I looped back to 53rd Street, where I had just passed one of those UPS printing/copying/shipping stores. I went in to one of the two computers sitting in the storefront, logged into my email and pulled up the documents. I turned around at that point to get a little help from the guy at the desk.

Me: "Hi, can you help me print something?"

Man: Stare.

Me: "Is that possible?"

Man: "We don't have any paper."

Me: (looking up at the printing/copying sign) "What do you mean?"

Man: "We don't have any paper."

Me: "Well, sir, I'm just printing three pieces of paper. You have three pieces of paper here, right? I mean this is a printing/copying store."

Man: "We don't have any paper."

Me: (angry at this point) "I'm sorry sir, but that's a load of sh*t. It's your RESPONSIBILITY AS A PRINTING COMPANY TO HAVE PAPER."

Man: "Yeah, we don't have any."

Me: "Ok. Fine. I'll go home, get my OWN paper, and then come back and print my three pieces of paper."

Man: "We close in five minutes."

Me: "You close at 6 pm?? So what do you suggest I do?"

(pause)

Man: "You should go to FedEx Kinkos."

With pleasure.

1 comment:

  1. I love that he suggested you go to their competitor...

    ReplyDelete