Friday, June 12, 2009

Overheard: Oh the Irony!

This was just too good to pass up. But it's more an "overseen" rather than overheard...like you're not supposed to SEE it, but you happen to anyway. Story of my life.

I'm working from home this morning- and I WILL blog about why everyone should be able to work from home at some later point- and just ran over to a local coffee place to get a little breakfast (M, I promise this cost less than $5! We're on a budget, people.) So I ordered my iced tea and bagel- yes, I know how bad bagels are for you, but I really needed bread- and stood waiting for a minute.

Then this is what I saw.

A woman, probably in her mid-50s, staring at one of those itsy bitsy computers, which obviously wasn't plugged in and so the screen was slightly fuzzy and dark. Ok, so that's sort of silly. But then, here's the kicker. I realize SHE'S WEARING TWO PAIRS OF GLASSES!!!! Like on TOP of each other! Not like "flip up sunglasses". Honest to goodness READING GLASSES. Uh, what? One, I didn't know that works (mostly because I don't wear glasses, or contacts for that matter). Two, you're working on a TINY computer that's not even plugged in! Of course you can't see! And finally, do you know how absolutely ridiculous you look? True, she probably wasn't trying to be glamorous (the really old, worn t-shirt sort of gave that one away)....but why don't you just get glasses with a stronger...uh....strength thing? She looked absolutely ridiculous, as she squinted, and then brought her head like four inches away from the tiny screen.

It took everything in me to not bust out laughing...it was just too hilarious in that moment. But I didn't laugh, as that would be really rude. Sort of like the lady who yelled at me and said "YOU CAN'T PARK HERE! WE'RE MOVING!" To which I sweetly replied, "Well, your sign says 'No Parking starting at one pm' and it is currently 10:23 am and I will be gone in five minutes." And revved my engine (not really...at least the revving part. I'm not THAT obnoxious). Thank you very much and have a nice day.

1 comment:

  1. my mom wears two pairs of glasses. instead of bifocals, she has separate pairs, and sometimes she has to wear them both at the same time...

    ReplyDelete