Thursday, August 20, 2009

Diet Coke

The other day, after a great lunch with M, I was in need of a little sugary (or at least fake sugary) pick me up. So I turned to my frenemy, the 4th floor vending machine. The choices were:



Diet Coke

Diet Coke

Coke (not available)

Ginger Ale (not available)

Sprite (not available)

some weird fruit juice that doesn't actually have fruit or juice in it.



OBVIOUSLY my first choice would have been Ginger Ale. Followed by Sprite. Followed by Coke. So what's a girl to do when stuck in a situation like this?



So yep. I plunked in my seventy-five cents (!!!), pushed the first of the two Diet Coke buttons and watched as my new can rolled around in the dispenser thingy, the condensation glistening off the silvery metal of the can. I popped the top (hello, anyone else think it sounds just like drinking a beer? Which is totally inappropriate in our office unless it's a party--which we have at least once a week. And there's alcohol. Thank you Federal Government!), and took a swig.


Ugh.


Seriously?

For some reason, I thought Diet Coke tasted better than this. I was wrong, friends. Very, very wrong. The thing is, it tasted almost like a mix of water and real Coke, and just generally fake... if something can actually taste "fake." Ugh. Why do people drink this? I don't care how "healthy" it is compared to real Coke. It tastes like flat dog pee. If I had ever tasted that.

And Splenda? Don't even get me started on Splenda. Even the word makes me want to vommit and go eat a cup of sugar.

Never again, my friends, never again.

2 comments:

  1. "It tastes like flat dog pee."

    That's where it starts. But pretty soon you'll be like the rest of us, drinking one for breakfast on the way to work, one as a mid-morning pick-me-up, one (including free refills) at lunch, and countless refills out at dinner. You will both love and hate Diet Coke--disgusted with it yet craving it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What do you expect when you only have to pay 25 cents for it?

    ReplyDelete