Tuesday, August 25, 2009

I am on a rampage against Comcast

That's right. You heard it here first. Down with Comcast!

I just spent the last hour and a half negotiating with someone to get internet and maybe, possibly, standard cable service for our new apartment. Don't be fooled: that $19.99 they're offering for internet only? Yeah, it doesn't exist. Unless you also fork over money for cable. And then once you do, you pay some ridiculous installation fee, when I could probably plug the cords in myself. The taxes and fees are nothing ($3.46) compared to the ridiculous prices. Oh, and no worries. In six months, your bill will nearly double (I'm not kidding. From $59.99 to $102.50). Woohoo! Sign me up for that!

Here's the problem. We have no other options. Sure, we could go with AT&T (maybe) for internet. If we could understand their website. Verizon doesn't offer service in our area, and apparently there aren't any other cable or internet companies that do, either. In some weird sense, I guess I can thank myself for that, as I used to provide legislative support to lobbyists who lobbied on behalf of Comcast...poor, oppressed company that it is. Oh gosh, I think I'm going to be sick.

I understand that it's a luxury to have internet and television. I'm fully aware of that (though, as I've mentioned before, there were four bars of cell phone service in the Middle of Nowhere, Rwanda, and I don't think they're paying these prices.) But aren't we supposed to crush monopolies here in the United States? Isn't that what we're about? Apple pie, crushing monopolies and picket fences? Throw in 2.5 kids and a cute puppy and you're living the American dream. But apparently this dream is turning into a nightmare.

Shouldn't I have some sort of choice in who I choose to provide these services to me, if I'm willing to pay the money for it? Or, at the very least, a standard, reasonable, public option that's available to everyone who doesn't care to have "blazing fast internet" (yes, he really said that to me)? Am I just supposed to give in because that's the only option I've got? Hear this, Comcast: I will not bend!!

Maybe I should rename this blog Hyde Park: unplugged. Or just write a book. No internet required.

No comments:

Post a Comment