Friday, August 21, 2009

Hello, Neighbor!

What better way to introduce yourself to the new neighbors then hot, fresh, hand-delivered cookies?

I don't want to brag. But my chocolate chip cookies ARE world famous. And, by the way, I can say "world" because I made them in India when I lived there in 2004. For reference, this is no small feat when brown sugar is nearly impossible to find and your house doesn't have an oven. Yes, friends, you can survive-even thrive- WITHOUT an oven!!! But I digress.

So in order to meet our new neighbors, and since I don't have anything else to do yet (ie, I'm unemployed), I thought it would be nice to bake up a fresh batch of cookies, wrap them up in a cute little bag and hand deliver them to our new neighbors. (I think this would go over really well if I wear pearls, lipstick and talk with a Southern accent. Maybe Mason will even wear seersucker. Do they know what that is in Chicago?) I mean who among us would love to get fresh baked cookies from the new neighbor? I'm raising my hand. As long as my neighbor isn't that scary Russian dude who poisoned that other Russian guy.

I'm quickly learning that our new neighborhood is made up of a unique mix of characters. Again, hopefully not scary Russian dude or anyone involved with any international form of the mafia. Here's hoping. Anyway, you've got your graduate students, who make up the entirety of our building. You've got the professors, many of whom live in the beautiful old mansions on the side streets off of our street (apparently professors at the University of Chicago are doing well). You've got the middle class families who commute in to Chicago every day, and you've got the older people who have lived there forever.

And then you've got them, when they're not (ahem) busy doing other things*.


You think I'll be able to deliver cookies to their house? Maybe if I sweeten up the deal by giving the cops outside some cookies (again, with the Southern accent, pearls and lipstick), they'll let me by. And even though I never heard anything back about renting out their house, I'll let it slide this time.
I wouldn't want to deprive anyone of those world famous cookies.
*Like governing America.

3 comments:

  1. Liz, I'll personally attest to the "fantastic-ness" of your world famous cookies. I think I enjoyed many of them our freshman year when you would whip up a batch in the community kitchen. And they were always a welcome addition to birthday celebrations. I know the Obamas will enjoy them as much as I did :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just ate two in my office...gosh were they good.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maybe you should also make some for your DC friends- as a parting gift - something to remember you by?! And Seersucker is def. a no go in the midwest! :) It isn't hot enough to need it in Chi-town.

    ReplyDelete