Tuesday, August 4, 2009

It might be time for an upgrade

I'm pretty sure this is the computer that I'm using at this very moment.



Ok, maybe not quite. But it sure feels like it and I'm about to throw it across the room if it delays my typing much longer. Were I not an excellent editor, my sentences would look more like this:

I wn t wrk tody. Ad I h fn.

But wait! It's not just that it's sooooooooooooo slow. It's also that it never really wants to connect to the internet, which is a problem when you spend your evenings looking for jobs (while your husband studies calculus. Who has it worse in this situation? That's a tough one). It also apparently has issues with downloading (or viewing for that matter) pictures. And it's so slow I can't even use Skype! Oh, and did I mention that it's ridiculously slow?

Don't get me wrong, I'm very thankful that we even have a computer. And that it came free to me 5 years ago. I know from first-hand experience that there are people in (fill in your favorite developing county here) who don't have computers. However they do have complete cell phone coverage in the bush of Rwanda. Ponder that for a moment. Done? I'll go on complaining then. IT'S S SLW! ! See?? It didn't even type "IT'S SO SLOW!!!" correctly!

So why am I blogging about it? You mean besides the fact that I blog about random things all the time? Oh, yeah, right. Well...one, because it sure would be nice to have at least one working computer when we arrive in Chicago. And two, because it sure would be nice to have two working computers when we arrive in Chicago. Deep down inside I'm hoping that someone out there in the interwebs will decide that what this young couple- who are about to embark on a new journey to Chicago with barely two pennies to rub together (ok, exaggeration)- need is a brand new Mac laptop. (We don't really ask for much.) Don't you hear about these kinds of stories all the time? People helping one another out? Like the lady in Florida who was evicted and her neighbor let her stay with her? Or like unemployment? (Which by the way, I'm not qualified for since I technically am "quitting" my job rather than "being let go.") Ah, the kindness of strangers in our moments of need.

And maybe if I'm really, really lucky, someone like Good Morning America will pick up our story, in which case we'll get a gazillion Macs. It would definitely make a much more interesting story than this whole "birther" thing.

2 comments:

  1. What happened to your laptop?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Well, I already replaced the hard drive once. And now it's just running incredibly slow again. Even after all the normal fixes, it's not getting any better. In fact, it took me 5 minutes just to post this little note!

    ReplyDelete