Monday, July 20, 2009

A Revelation


Note: this is an environmentally-friendly-light bulb-Aha!-moment.
Maybe I should blame it on the two glasses of wine that I had before church yesterday (our good friend Katie says one of her most meaningful worship experiences came after a couple glasses of wine), but yesterday in church, as we were singing some song or another, a light finally came on in my head.
If we believe that God has provided for our salvation, surely we can believe that He will provide for us in this little move to Chicago.
Taa-daa!! DING DING DING! We have a winner! (Also note that by "we" I mean "I". Because somehow M came to this realization a long time ago.)
And then I immediately started thinking about that little passage about not worrying in the book of Matthew. Remember that passage? The one you try and pretend isn't there because I DON'T HAVE A PROBLEM WITH WORRYING ABOUT EVERY LITTLE DETAIL OF MY LIFE AND IT'S NOT LIKE I'M A CONTROL FREAK WHO WANTS TO PLAN EVERYTHING OUT ANYWAY. Right, that one. Surely, Jesus tells us, that if God clothes the birds of the air and the flowers of the field (which by the way look better than Solomon in all his splendor) which are here today and gone tomorrow, He can take care of us, right? And surely if we really believe that He's taken care of the big stuff, He can take care of the little stuff, right? All He's asking of us is that we pursue first the things of Him...and all this other stuff will fall into place. It might not look exactly how we would have had it to look (ie, I will probably not be the Executive Vice President of a Fortune 500 Chicago business), and there's definitely no promise that it will be a walk in the park. But surely, in the knowledge and experience of what has been provided in the eternal, we can believe the temporal will be provided for, too, right?
So the light has finally come on. Don't get me wrong: the reality is that the proverbial light will probably continue to flicker on and off during these two years in Chicago (and probably on for the rest of our lives). But it's a good revelation to grasp right now before we take the plunge of moving at the end of August.
And I'm really considering having a glass or two of wine before every service. It obviously helps with something.

3 comments:

  1. It's funny--but true--how it's almost easier to accept grace for the bigger things than for the smaller things. Either way, a glass or two of wine is definitely going to help.

    ReplyDelete
  2. mm- wine before church, not a bad idea!

    I love this! And I love that M was already there...I can just imagine you telling him and he is just nodding saying Yep. (duh, Liz!) :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. makes me think of Romans 8:32. Good stuff, and i like the wine idea....might have to try that!

    ReplyDelete